Golf/Project X Shafts

Question
I have the Nippon Modus Tour 130 (124 gram) Stiff shafts on Nike VR Pro II Blades and love them; however, I would like to have the shafts from 3-5 Flighted for higher trajectory but they do not have flighting. I have a set of the J-36 Bridgestone Blades with the Project X 6.5's that I could switch into the Nike's, but the 6.5's aren't as smooth as the Tour 130's. My question is: Should I buy Project X 6.0's that are flighted (I hit my 5 Iron approx. 180 yards and my driver swing speed is 105, I am 65 200 lbs.) Also, I have heard that since Rifle was bought out the "Frequency has gone south on the Project X ???

Answer
HI Brad;

Sorry for the long winded explanation, here goes.

I can tell you that The Project X and Rifle shafts have from what I understand gone through a process to tighten the frequencies.  Again this is from what I understand.  However the numbers on tour are least showing an increase in usage.  I would venture to say that you should contact one of the more experienced club fitters in your area for this.

My only reason for saying that is I cannot see your swing or ball flight trajectories, nor the early or late dispersions of movement in ball flight (draws, fades, etc), in order to give you the correct needed information.  Nor can anyone effectively do so without seeing actual ball flight ... flight scoped.  As you well know, there is certainly a lot that goes into figuring out your Own Golf Equation.

Some will try and suggest, even those who work for shaft manufacturers, but when it comes to correct shaft design and selection, it must be done at a full size range with live balls versus limited flight balls.

To my personal knowledge, there might be 25 - 50 people in the U.S. that could effectively assist you in this question without really having to see the ball flight.  Most of them work for the shaft or club manufacturers and/or are out working with tour players weekly, and each manufacturer is going to steer you to their product line.

I know a handful here in California, then again I am only 45 minutes away from Golf Central for manufacturers (Carlsbad).

Again, this is my best suggestion and I wish I could assist more.  I can recommend that you go to http://www.truetemper.com/performance-fitting-centers/  Search for a certified fitter in your area.

One last thing, Kudos to you, 65 years old and hitting your 5 iron 180, and a driver swing speed of 105 is a set of uncommon stats at best, especially for a 65 year old as these are average tour numbers.  Then again you could be 6'2" and have really long arms too and yes this would have an effect.

Hope this helps.

Robb Nunn
PGA Professional  

Golf

Robb Nunn