Golf/Driver - push fade

Dear Mr.Kilthau,

I recently went to get fitted for a custom driver to specifically find something that might help me to fix the push-fade that I have when I hit a driver.  The expert there told me that no matter what he does it would not really get to the bottom of the problem (it's not the club but my swing).

I understand this and I'm 57 years old so I don't want to start swing is my swing.  I'm wondering though if you might have any tips on what I can do to try and keep the ball from fading.

I'm slim, 5'8"..swing speed of 90mph.  The expert told me that it seems to him like I start to move my hips forward even before I get to the top of my backswing and so my hands can't catch up quick enough on the downswing and so when the club face hits the ball, it's always open.  I've worked on limiting my hip action but I still very often fade the ball.

Would you have any suggestions...should I widen my stance at address to keep my hips from moving too much.   Also, what type of driver shaft should be using....a regular or stiff shaft?  

Thank you.

Common problem.  Let's forget about your hips and pay attention to the club and what it is doing to cause your ball to push and/or fade-slice.  

In one sentence, your path is coming into the ball too much from the inside and the face is staying square or slightly open to that path at impact.  So if you picture your target as 12 o'clock, the path your club is taking to the ball is from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock.  If the face is square at impact to that path, the ball starts right and stays right (not much curvature, just a push to the right).  If the face is open to that path, the ball starts right and then curves right.  

SO ... to fix that, I would start by making sure your grip is correct so that your hands can properly turn over and release the clubface back to square at impact.  You need to learn how to close the face through impact.  How you do that is by using your hands correctly.  The right hand would turn over the left hand as the club swings through the impact area.  If you wear a glove on your left hand, a good checkpoint is at waist high in the follow through, the logo of your glove would be facing the ground, your right hand would be completely turned over the left hand at that point.  The clubface would be closing through impact instead of opening.  It would begin to produce a right to left spin on the ball, instead of left to right.  

You must learn that basic first, then we simply begin to swing the club more at the target (12 o'clock) instead of out to right field.  

A good swing moves from slightly inside the target line to square and back to the inside of the target line to a finish.  Using your hands correctly to gain better control of the clubface is a MUST during the swing.  Your hands/grip control the clubface, so if you cannot get the face square at impact, you MUST start there.  

And since your hips don't touch the club, forget about them or any other part of your body.  Your body should support the swing.  Stop trying to use other parts of your body to do something with the club ... it only disrupts it never helps.  Pay more attention to your arms, hands and clubface and go practice moving that ball from right to left (on purpose).  Start with a 7 or 8 iron and progress to your driver.  

Have fun, it's much better hitting down the middle of the fairway!!

Eddie Kilthau

I am a PGA golf professional specializing in teaching the game.

I played collegiately at Arizona State University, then turned professional in 1981. I became the shortest player to ever play in the United States Open at Oakmont Country Club in Pittsburgh & missed my PGA Tour card by 2 shots in 1986 at PGA West, La Quinta, California. I have been teaching for 26 years in Phoenix, Arizona & I am currently the Director of Instruction at the Vistal Club in Phoenix and owner of Victory Golfworks.

Business Administration, Arizona State University. PGA Business School I - 1986, PGA Business School II - 1992, PGA Advanced Business School III - 1995. Certified PING Clubfitter - 1999. PGA Teaching & Clubfitting Seminar - 1992. Numerous Southwest Section PGA educational seminars.