US Government Information/255.00 death benefits requirements

Question
A friend lost a love one around the age of 65 or older, this person did not have any insurance for burial but was receiving social security benefits from retirement, his family connected the social security department and was told that this man had to be married and have dependants under the age of 18, all children were grown and wife deceased.  Please help me to clear up this misunderstanding of mind about the qualifications for the $255.00 death benefits.

Answer
Social Security pays the $255 lump sum death payment to a surviving spouse or a child receiving benefits from the deceased parent's record.  Otherwise, the payment is not made.

I hope this answers your question even though this is probably not what you wanted to hear.

Darlene

US Government Information

Darlene Oldendick