You are here:

US Government Information/need for additional statements


I received Advance notice of Termination of Child's Benefits. With this notice I received SSA 1372-BK which I filled out with all certifications needed i.e. (School Certification of Attendance)and then sent them to the American Consulate Frankfurt.  Received documentation from Frankfurt saying that I used the wrong forms and that I should have used SSA-1372-BK-FC.  After examening the forms I noticed that the only difference was the ef dates on both forms, one being 03-2009 and the other dated 02-2012 which was sent by Baltimore.  After talking with Frankfurt office, and reading the letter they sent they stated in their letter that I needed and additional certification of attendance  (Schulbescheinigung) which is issued by the German Arbeitsamt and Familienkasse.  The one has nothing to do with the other.  One is for the German authorities and the other for SSA.  The SSA instructions do not require it but Frankfurt does before they send it to SSA in Baltimore.  Here is my questions:  1.  is the German form necessary once I have page 2/3/4 filled out and certified by the German School?  
2.  Do I have to send it to Frankfurt, according to the SSA instructions it is an option but not a requirement, can I not send it directly to SSA in Baltimore.\?

It does appear that they use form SSA-1372-BK-FC ( in foreign claim situations.

Below is information from Social Security's website about international service.

you can report to the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate. Visit Service Around The World for a complete list of these offices.

If you find it easiest to contact us by mail, send your report by airmail to the following address:

Social Security Administration
P.O. Box 17769
Baltimore, Maryland 21235-7769

When you contact us, include all of the following information:

   Name of person or persons about whom the report is being made;
   What is being reported and the date it happened; and
   The claim number that appears on the letters or other correspondence we send you. (This is a nine-digit number—000-00-0000—followed by a letter or a letter and a number.)
If You Are Already Receiving Benefits
Link -

If you are receiving or are already entitled to Social Security benefits and wish to contact us, use the numbers shown below.  You will need to look at the last two digits of your Social Security claim number in order to determine which number to use.

Last Two Digits Are:    Phone Numbers Are:
between 00 and 16    
between 17 and 32    
between 33 and 49    
between 50 and 66    
between 67 and 82    
between 83 and 99    

If You Have Applied for Benefits

If you are calling about a pending claim for Social Security benefits or other non-claim issue, call 410-965-0160.

If You Want To Send a Fax
  In order to send us a fax, you will need to supply us with the Social Security Number you are inquiring about, your full name, address and a phone number where you can be reached.  Please be as specific as possible in explaining the reason for your inquiry.  The reason for your inquiry should be in English.  If you do not have a Social Security Number, you cannot use our fax process.  The following number can be used to fax material to us:  1-877-385-0645  

US Government Information

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Darlene Oldendick


Social Security retirement planning and all questions about Social Security eligibility and entitlement.


Worked for the Social Security Administration for 33 years


33 years employment with the Social Security Administration

Awards and Honors
Many outstanding performance awards while employed at the Social Security Administration

©2017 All rights reserved.