US Government Information/Break-Even Amount

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

If someone receives Social Security at 62 and another person at 65, do you know how to determine how long it will take the person who delayed Social Security payments until 65 to break even with the person who started taking Social Security payments at 62?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: Total the monthly benefits from age 62 to age 65 that you would leave on the table.  Divide that amount by the difference between the age 62 benefit amount and the age 65 benefit amount.  Divide that answer by 12 to get the number of years it will take to break even.

QUESTION: Hello:

I want to thank you for your reply.

I need some clarification. Can you provide an example by just typing out some amounts and performing the calculations as you indicated in your first reply?

I thank you for your help and assistance!

Answer
Example: Date of Birth May 1951 - Full age retirement benefit amount is $1,500; age 65 benefit amount is $1,400; age 62 benefit amount is $1,125.

If this person delayed filing for benefits until age 65, they would give up $39,375 ($1,125 x 35 months for period June 2013 through April 2016) to receive $275 more per month at age 65.

$39,375 / $275= 143.2 months / 12 months = 11.9 years or until age 76.9 (11.9 + 65)

US Government Information

Darlene Oldendick