US Government Information/Retirement

Question
I turn 66 with is my full retirement age Dec. this year. How long before i turn 66 do i need to apply before getting my first check

Answer
It depends on when you would like your benefits to begin.  If you do not want any reduction in your benefit amount and you want your benefits to begin for December, Social Security will allow you to file up to four months in advance.  However, if you are willing to take a slight reduction in your benefit in exchange for starting benefits earlier than December, you may need to file this month.  

In the year you reach full retirement age, you can earn the higher limit of $40,080 without losing benefits.  Social Security only counts what you will earn from January through November.  If your earnings will be under the limit or low enough to allow benefits to be paid before December and you do not mind a slight reduction, you may want to consider filing now.

US Government Information

Darlene Oldendick