US Government Information/wifes social security

I am 72 and started receiving benefits at 66 and 2/3.  My wife will turn 66 in August and we have both worked and paid into Social Security our entire working lives.  Can my wife receive part of my benefits and not take hers until she is 70?  and if so what percentage of my benefit can she collect?

Yes, at age 66, your wife can file a restricted application for a "spouse only" benefit if she does not file for her retirement benefit.  Once she files for her retirement benefit, the "spouse only" benefit will stop. There is no advantage for delaying her retirement benefit beyond age 70.  The spouse benefit is 50% of your full age retirement benefit.  Her spouse benefit is not calculated using the benefit amount you receive.  The amount you are receiving could include extra credit for filing after your full retirement age.  

US Government Information

Darlene Oldendick

Social Security retirement planning and all questions about Social Security eligibility and entitlement.

Worked for the Social Security Administration for 33 years

33 years employment with the Social Security Administration

Many outstanding performance awards while employed at the Social Security Administration