US Government Information/SSI and Medicare


I am  resident alien collecting SS benefits recently turning 65. Just received  Medicare application .Not sure about part B, What is the deductible per year and is there a deductible with hospitalization?If I do sign up with part B can I can cancel it at any time and is there a penalty for that? Also can my husband apply for Medicare and pay individually?He has a social security card but works internationally and has never filed  or worked in the US.Thank you for your assistance

I will need to refer your to Medicare's website at

There you will find the answers to your questions.  Both Part A Hospital Insurance and Part B Medical insurance have a deductible that will be shown on their website.  You can be penalized 10% extra on the monthly premium for each 12 month period you were age 65 and could have had Medicare, but were not enrolled and was not covered by an employer group health plan based on your current work.

It is possible that he could receive Medicare if you have worked and paid into the Social Security system.  If he has never paid into the U.S. Social Security system, he will not receive free Part A Hospital Insurance.  Anyone can buy Medicare Part B, but it does not cover you while out of the country.  A person can also buy Par A Hospital Insurance, but it is expensive and also does not cover you while out of the country.  

US Government Information

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Darlene Oldendick


Social Security retirement planning and all questions about Social Security eligibility and entitlement.


Worked for the Social Security Administration for 33 years


33 years employment with the Social Security Administration

Awards and Honors
Many outstanding performance awards while employed at the Social Security Administration

©2017 All rights reserved.