US Government Information/Pay back benefits


My husband had to retire at 64 due to health. He will be 66 in 2015. We want to pay back the 2 yrs. of SS benefits  received in order to increase our monthly benefit to what it would be at 66. We do not want to suspend SS benefits, just pay back. I am 63, and have received SS benefits for 1 yr. How do we do this. Thank you very much.

Social Security will not allow him to pay back benefits because he began benefits more than one year ago.  He receives about 15% less because he filed about 2 years early. If he suspends his benefits for two years he will gain 16%. Could he live on the money he would have used to refund two years of benefits?

US Government Information

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Darlene Oldendick


Social Security retirement planning and all questions about Social Security eligibility and entitlement.


Worked for the Social Security Administration for 33 years


33 years employment with the Social Security Administration

Awards and Honors
Many outstanding performance awards while employed at the Social Security Administration

©2017 All rights reserved.