US Government Information/Death benefit of 225.00 for spouse

how long does it take to receive the benefit after the
death notification.?

If an application for the one-time $255 Lump Sum Death Payment (LSDP) was required, it takes about 30 days. I would need more facts to determine if an application was needed.

Sometimes if a wife receives a spouse benefit when their husband dies, the benefit is changed automatically to a widow's benefit and the LSDP is automatically paid unless there is a problem with the husband and wife's addresses not matching on Social Security's record.  If you are receiving a widow's benefit, but have not received the LSDP,  I suggest that you contact Social Security so that they review your record to determine the problem and take corrective action.

Hope this answers your question.  If not, please let me know.

US Government Information

Darlene Oldendick

Social Security retirement planning and all questions about Social Security eligibility and entitlement.

Worked for the Social Security Administration for 33 years

33 years employment with the Social Security Administration

Many outstanding performance awards while employed at the Social Security Administration