Graphic Accelerators/Understanding the difference between Radeon and NVIDIA cards...

Hey Salman.

I'm looking to buy a computer to use for video editing and I'm having trouble comparing GPU's...I notice that most software that requires any sort of intensive graphics tends to list a minimum dedicated VRAM value - for example in the minimum hardware requirements page for the software it will say something like: "Graphics card - at least 512mb (1gb recommended)"

My budget is towards the lower end of the spectrum and I've come across a lot of computers with adequate-looking specs (decent CPU, HDD size, 8gb of RAM), except they usually tend to have Radeon integrated graphics cards that don't seem to have any dedicated VRAM (such as the AMD Radeon HD 8470D).

I'd like to understand what's going on here - do these Radeon cards provide good or equivalent performance to NVIDIA somehow without dedicated VRAM? Are they worth considering? And why are they advertised as selling points when they don't have any dedicated VRAM? Usually in computer sales they try to hide this fact or at least not to draw attention to it.

And lastly, how do I know if it will work for my applications if it doesn't list any VRAM value? It seems very hard to work out for a newby...

Thanks! :)

Dear Clancy,
Yes for a novice these terms create confusion. Actually AMD Radeon 8470D is equivalent to INTEL HD 4000. These are integrated graphics chipsets . For games or graphics software use, dedicated or discreet graphics card must be used.

You mentioned that you are looking for a computer if it's laptop then I short listed cheap laptops with dedicated graphics card. For Nvidia you can opt from 15-j102sa or 15-j105ea. If you choose AMD then HP Pavilion 15-n274sa   is the best choice.

HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j102sa.      699

HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j105ea      799
HP Pavilion 15-n274sa          429

HP Pavilion Beats Edition 15-p099na      499

Graphic Accelerators

Salman Zeb Khan

I can answer questions related to Graphics cards hardware and software and upgrade advice for both Nvidia and Ati. I can't answer questions which involve hardware troubleshooting or software errors for these questions please refer to Graphics card manufacturer support.

I have a vast experience of Graphics card upgrading and I know the PC graphics cards scenario since 1994.

I have done Electrical Engineering and MBA