Graphic Design/Drawing Skills & Graphic Design

Hello Mr. Elmansy,

I am hoping this falls into your idea of 'giving advice'. My question is simple.

How important are good drawing skills to the success of a graphic designer? In what ways would an aspiring graphic designer be 'crippled' by not being able to draw well?

Thank you,
Mehreen H.

Hi Mehreen,

Sorry for the late reply. Drawing is important in two manners. The first one is to build inside you the basic concepts of art such as balance, color combination, harmony...etc.
These basic skills make your work different than the people who just learn graphic design without any experience in art concepts.

Ont he other hand, designer with drawing skills can have extended capabilities to do more ideas, such as drawing parts of your design and get it into the computer to use it, get inspired with drawing ideas...etc.

However, drawing and art background is very useful in the digital design as it is actually an extension from each other.

Hope this helps

Thank you

Graphic Design

Rafiq Elmansy

I can provide support and answer questions about any type of questions including giving advice, consultation and problem solving.

My experience includes 9 years of working in graphic design, web design, animation and creative direction. This includes a deep experience in user experience and creative directing. I am an Adobe Certified Expert in Flash CS3 and Photoshop CS4, with experience in instructing and giving course in graphic products and Adobe tools that extend to 4 years. My experience includes writing and authoring tutorials about graphic topics in Adobe design and developing center, Adobe Edge magazine, and

Adobe Community Expert Adobe user group manager of Adobe user group in Egypt (AUGE) Adobe design and developer center contributor author guess author uCertify contributor author

Adobe Photoshop CS4 certification Adobe Photoshop CS3 certification Adobe Flash CS3 certification Macromedia Flash MX certification CIW Associate and professional Web design and developing diploma at IBM

Adobe Flash featured designer in Adobe celebration with Flash birthday: