Great Danes/zeus

hi paula - thank you for your advice - i have a couple belly bands on order and i have a crate on its way tonight until i get my own - this morning he was very much against going into the kitchen (where he chewed a hole in my new floor yesterday)- i am worried that he won't go into the kennel and i won't be able to force him in - any ideas? - mike

You should never force your dog into the crate. This is the best way to guarantee that your dog will never enjoy going in the crate and will always make the experience stressful and a long process each day when he has to go in. Crates are made to be a safe place for your dog, they should never feel anxious when going in the crate. The best way to start successful crate training is to set the crate up and leave it open when you are home. Set it up somewhere that is more secluded away like a laundry room or office, where the door can be closed but if it needs to be open the dog can possibly see out. Do not put it in a common space like a living room or bed room. This puts the dog in a spot where he can see you but can't get to you, that can make him more irritable and he may cry, howl or bark. Do small training periods while you are home. Use treats to entice him into the crate, then close the door for 5 seconds and let him out giving him a crate both when he goes in on his own and when he comes out without making a fuss. Gradually you should just be able to pair the verbal command "kennel" or "crate" and he should go in there on command. I would suggest that you do not put a bed in there crate until you can be certain he will not chew them up, both for financial reasons and safety reasons as most fillings/stuffings from dog beds can be harmful if swallowed causing a blockage. Most important of all is to also schedule to have him castrated/neutered as soon as possible. The longer he continues pee and mark, the less chance you have of ever being able to leave him out in your home without a belly band on permanently. It is not a very invasive surgery and recovery is fairly quick with proper aftercare. I suggest scheduling neuters on Fridays so that you can be home with him all weekend post surgery to watch him. Good luck, and of you need any other help in the future do not hesitate to write.  

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator