Great Danes/Great Dane Siezure

We have a 1 yr old female Great Dane, we just got her about 2 weeks ago and evidently she is in the middle of her cycle, our 15 month old male tied with her yesterday.  While she was sleeping today in the house she had a seizure.  Is this common?  We have a call into our vet and are waiting to hear back from him.

I cannot answer that question regarding the seizure as I am not a veterinarian. I do not know your dogs medical history and I do not know your dogs pedigree or lineage to tell you if that is something that might be inheritable in those particular lines.

I can tell you that based on the information you have provided me I would take the bitch to the vet and have her spayed before the sperm has time to fertilize the eggs. Any dog that has seizures should not be allowed to reproduce. Furthermore, you have a bitch that is one year old and should not even be close to having a litter of puppies just based on age and all other factors aside. If this is a genetic/hereditary condition it will very likely be passed along to her offspring.  

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator