Great Danes/4yr old Great Dane limping

I have 4yr old great dane who just started to limp last night. This morning he is avoiding putting any weight on his front right leg. I checked his leg & paw and there are no obvious injuries. We went for a walk yesterday & there were no issues or limping. He stays inside, no kids & he doesn't do stairs. So, I'm not sure where the limping started or why. He has been very healthy & never had this problem before. Strange part is, limping came on very suddenly.

He could have easily strained the leg, the best thing to do would be to take him to the veterinarian and have the leg checked out for signs of a torn ligament, ect. If you want to wait a few days put your Dane on crate rest and keep him off of his leg so that it has time to rest and heel. Just as with people, sometimes you can sleep wrong and wake up with a ache in your arm/leg. Same thing can happen with a dog or he could have just put his foot down wrong and it is bothering him. There are many things that can bring on sudden limping. Your best bet is to keep an eye on it for a few days and if it gets worse then get him to the vet as soon as possible. He could have something as small as a sprain but it could be as bad as a fracture or tear in the ligament.  

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator