Great Danes/Breeding

Hello, I have a male Great Dane and a female great dane.
both danes are from completely different litters and areas in California.
My female is 11 months old and in heat. my male is 8 months old.
Zeus (the male) keeps trying to mate with Herra (the female).
I try my best to keep them away from eachother. But herra cant be in the crate all day, and neither can Zeus.
I'm worried that she might get pregnant.
we do want to breed, but not just yet.
I know she needs to be older.
when do you think i should let them mate?
he birthday is on February 10th, and Zeus is on May 8th.

I do not typically answer questions pertaining to breeding. I will only answer the basic questions but I first have some questions for you.

What color is your female? What color is your male?
What health testing did the parents of your dogs have and what were their results?
What is the purpose for you breeding them?
What health testing are you planning to do?
What experience do you have with breeding, whelping and raising a litter of puppies?
How do you plan to find homes for your puppies?
What are your stipulations for the homes?
Will the puppies be listed on spay and neuter contracts?
Will they puppies be sold on full or limited registration?
What kind of guarantee will you provide for your puppies?
What will the stipulations of your contract be?
Will you be willing and able to take back ANY puppy and ANY time in their life if the owners can no longer care for the puppy they bought from you?

Dogs, whether they are a bitch or dog should NEVER be bred until after they are 2 year old both male and female and have been cleared through APPROVED health testing methods, and no not just a vet visit where your regular vet tells you they are "healthy"

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator