Great Danes/Brindle Breeding

Hi there, we have a black brindle (some call onyx brindle or reverse brindle) and we are wondering what the puppy colouring possibilities are if we breed to a "proper" brindle? What is the best colour to breed to if we are looking to produce brindle puppies?

Both blood lines have brindle in them.

Thank you

The base color shall be yellow gold and always brindled with strong black cross stripes in a chevron pattern. A black mask is preferred. Black should appear on the eye rims and eyebrows, and may appear on the ears and tail tip. The more intensive the base color and the more distinct and even the brindling, the more preferred will be the color. Too much or too little brindling are equally undesirable. White markings at the chest and toes, black fronted, dirty colored brindles are not desirable.

With that being said, there is only TWO acceptable colors that a brindle can be bred to are another brindle, and a fawn. The only colors that will be born in the litter are brindle and fawn, and that is if your lines are color pure. If you breed brindle to brindle, you will get brindle and fawn puppies If you breed brindle to fawn you will get brindle and fawn.

More important then color, what is the health testing results on the sire and the dam?

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator