Great Danes/Old Great Dane separation anxiety

We have a 10 yr old Great Dane displaying destructive behavior when being left alone. We have had her since she was 6 mo old.She relieves her bowels, even in her crate so we, let her have the run of the garage because she pulls carpet with her paws when in house This is still not good enough she  drools,tries to get in the house by clawing the door she also tries her best to escape. Sometimes she succeeds. She can open doors.  Deadbolts must be on. We let her out to have bm's before we leave, she waits to go in garage -after we leave.We took her to vet. She put her on Prozac. We are at our wits end. This behavior began about 6 mo ago. Could she have a mental disorder? Otherwise she is energetic and happy when we are in her presence. Help!

Cognitive dysfunction disorder.  Your dog is experiencing dementia and it seems that you are angry with her.  They do have target meds that can help doggie alzheimers. You need a qualified vet, and a realistic approach to handling a dog with a mind that is slipping. Locking her in the garage is not a great idea. She has given you 10 loyal years. She may have some added anxiety in her old age but please be patient with her. And I apologize for the lateness in the response, the website has been giving me problems with my login and vacation preferences.  

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator