Great Danes/accidents in the house

I have an 8 month old male Dane, he was almost completely potty trained but about 2 weeks ago he was neutered now he is having accidents in the house. Urine and stool. He had even had a couple accidents in the kennel. most of the time he can hold it all night, but goes out about every 20 mins or so and is still having accidents. Vet says everything checks out fine but I'm at my wits end with this! Help!

Your pup having accidents so close to surgery is quite common. The muscles may be having a hard time contracting and he may just be having a hard time holding it. That area is pretty sensitive for about 10-14 days after surgery. It sounds more to me like he may have a bladder infection or a urinary tract infection. I have not really had any personal experience with male incontinence after a neuter surgery but that is also entirely possible as well. I would have to do a little bit more research on that and get back to you. I will put in a call to my veterinarian and see what he has to say about it. I know this question was asked over 2 weeks ago and I apologize for the delay in response. Please post an update on his condition and we will go from there on something to help you figure out what is going on with his accidents. Thanks!

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator