Great Danes/Great Danes

Hi. I was wondering could you just provide me with some basic information about the breed (i.e. temperment, personality etc)? Are Great Danes difficult to care for? And are there certain people/situations that are better equipped to have a Great Dane? I would appreciate any information you could give me. Thank you for your time.

A "gentle giant," the Great Dane is nothing short of majestic. Sometimes referred to as the "king of dogs," this extremely large dog breed is known for being strong yet elegant, with a friendly, energetic personality. Striking in the show ring, this breed is also popular as a family pet. Coat colors can be brindle, fawn, blue, black, harlequin and mantle.

Great Danes have gentle and loving dispositions, making them excellent family companions, but as with all dogs, they should be supervised around young children. Daily exercise is necessary, but their short coats require minimal grooming.

Working Group; AKC recognized in 1887.
Minimum height of 30 inches tall at the shoulder for males and 28 inches tall for females.
Boar hunter; estate guard dog. Information on how to pick a puppy

The information above is taken directly off of the AKC website.

You can also visit the Great Dane Club of America's website for more information and breeder referrals.

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator