Great Danes/Trouble walking

We adopted a 3 1/2 year old male Great Dane from the neighbors who,we're going to give him to,a shelter because of a divorce. He is so  sweet, we just had to,take him in. We have never taken on such a large dog.
When we take him for a walk he stops frequently and tries to use his back leg to scratch either his front elbow  or maybe his belly but he can't reach it.  Sometimes he does it while walking and looses his balance.
We have been giving him Glucosamine sine he arrived .
We are not sure what is going on. Is this normal,behavior or should we ce concerned?

Unless he is showing signs of distress this doesn't really scream as if anything serious is going on. Danes are very large dogs, so their center of gravity is not as good as most dogs. They don't necessarily have problems with balance but if a dog shifts his weight onto only three legs, there is a chance they could be put off balance and fall over. Are there any signs of allergy related issues that are causing him to itch? What brand of food is he on? It could be seasonal allergies ect. If he starts to have trouble walking, getting up ect, then I would definitely tell you that a visit to the vet might be a good idea.  

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator