Great Danes/Sad or bored 10 yr old Great Dane

JJ is a 10 yr old nurtured great dane from rescue. He came to us when he was 6. We had him 2 years before my husband walked out. I kept JJ as I am home all the time. When I wound up in my wheelchair my husband took JJ for about 8 months as I adjusted to my new limitations. I got him back as soon as I was able, my husband worked long hours and left him home alone too much !! Made me very angry. JJ has been back with me about a year now. He doesn't happy tails any more and he just walks slow, lays on the couch, or his bed on my wheelchair ramp. He stays close most of the time. No bad behaviors. However, he doesn't want to play. He isn't sick according to his vet. His markings make him look sad but I just get the feeling he is bored or something --- is he just getting to old to bother and is just content being near his human? I use to take him for car rides his favorite activity in the whole wide world --- up to about 25 mph happy ears blowing in the wind --- but now with my wheelchair lift in car he doesn't fit in my car anymore. I had a joey lift installed in my PT Cruiser. I didn't have a choice. What can I do?

Your Dane is very old, he has already gone past the average life expectancy by 2-4 years in most cases. He is slowing down, his  bones are probably achy. I do not think he is sad or bored. I think he is just content on being near you and that is all he needs. I wouldn't read into him too much. If he is eating, drinking, and getting around to go to the bathroom, you should not be worried. If the vet has said that he is not sick, I really wouldn't be overly concerned. You can always see if a doggie daycare will take him for a few hours everyday, depending on how mobile he is, and how he interacts with other animals. You can also get him some IQ toys if you feel that he is bored. Here are a few examples:

Good luck and I hope this helps. I love the seniors! They are so wonderful and thankful.  

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator