Great Danes/Skin problems

My black great dane 6 years old has developed some bald patches especially around her joints , legs. he has been constantly licking and has caused a wound on her rear legs. please help.

It sounds like your Great Dane has what is called Licking Granuloma or he has hot spots. There are a few things that you can do to see if you can resolve the issue.
1) Go to the store and buy some Fish Oil capsules. Look at what the adult dosage is, plus 2 and give that daily.
2) Try a fish based food, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Trout ect
3) Buy a product called Nustock and give your Dane a bath once a week treating those particular areas.
4) If you have tried the above and do not have positive results your dog may have a secondary bacterial infection and may need a course of antibiotics.

I hope one of these helps.  

Great Danes

Paula Zaro

I have a great love for this breed, and although this is an "expert" forum, no one person can be an expert in all issues in any breed. It takes a lifetime of learning, with new information becoming current and relevant often. I am happy to share the knowledge that I have, and if I cannot answer your question I will be happy to do research and ask peers in the breed for their knowledge and advice. I can answer questions on temperament, health, training, breeding issues, genetic issues. I will not answer questions about how to breed your pet and add to the pet population. I am a firm believer that the experts in the breed should breed, and families should enjoy their dogs from reputable breeders.

Show Exhibitor, Rescue Coordinator, Kennel Mananger, Training Manager, Partner in large Dog Training and Behavior Consulting Firm. Own/Train, actively Show the breed for over 10 years.

American Rare Breed Association, Cane Corso Assocation of America, Great Dane Club of Milwaukee, American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dog Institute Evaluator

Basic Trainer, Intermediate Trainer, Advanced Trainer, Off-Leash Advanced Trainer, Behavior Modification, Behavior Modification Specialist, Canine Good Citizen Evaluator of the American Kennel Club, Veterinary Assistant, Kennel Manager, Adoption Coordinator