Great Danes/nutrition

Question
What is the food for  Great Danes to help extend their life span?  I want to do everything I can to have my new best friend for as long as possible.  Orion is a two year old mantle great dane he has been well taken care of.  His food has been Science diet Advanced Fitness.  He has seen the vet regularly and was neutered not to long before I was privileged enough to add him to my family.  But I had seen a ad that increased giant breeds life spans through diet before I got Orion and would greatly appreciate any help with this matter.    Thank You and God bless!  Cindy

Answer
Captain
Captain  
Cindy,

If you search through my previously asked and answered questions, there are several topics on nutrition. There isn't a food that is scientifically proved to extend life expectancy, but there are ingredients you want to avoid as they are unnecessary and provide no nutritional value for your Dane.

Some of the ingredients you want to avoid are Corn, Soy, Wheat and By-Product, especially if you find these ingredients in the first 5 listed on the ingredient list. Most all Science Diet foods have corn, which is one of the top allergens in dogs and it is used as a filler. I don't see how anyone would want to pay $55-60 for a bag of corn. I looked up the food you mentioned specifically, it had Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Sorghum, Whole Grain Corn and Corn Gluten Meal in the top 8 ingredients. The Brewer"s Rice and Whole Grain Wheat were 2 of the top 5.

Some(but not all) of the foods I currently recommend are : Orijen, Solid Gold, Taste of the Wild, Fromm, Holistic Select, Precise, Blue Buffalo, Simply Nourish, Acania, Castor and Pollux, Nutri-Source, Halo, Wellness, Nature's Variety, Back to Basics, AvoDerm, Innova, Evanger's, Canidae, Merrick, Canyon Creek Ranch, Pinnacle Dog Food.

I hope this is a large enough list for you. If you have any other questions feel free to message me again!

From my Mantle Dane to yours, good luck on your search for the right food for your pup :)  

Great Danes

Paula Zaro