How to Have Great Sex/Why does a penis have a head?

Question
Why does the penis have a head on it?  I've seen dog penis and they don't have a head or at least not the same as humans do.  So what's the purpose of the head?

Answer
The glans (head) is a favorite part of many males' body. The glans is heavily wired with nerve endings, making it extremely sensitive. Most circumcised males cannot bear to touch their glans unless they use lubricant. Having a head that is wider than the shaft makes it much easier to masturbate. Imagine trying not to touch the head if the head were not wider than the shaft. The shaft being separated from the head also lets the glans move independently of the shaft. If the entire penis were as sensitive as the head, it would be practically impossible to make love or masturbate or do anything with the penis.

I don't know why some animals don't have penis heads, if your report is correct.

How to Have Great Sex

Doug Adams, Ph.D.