How to Have Great Sex/women fertility and sex

Question
Hello, Tom Blair

I'd like to clarify a few aspects of female sexuality.

I've heard that women are not always fertile, that there
is a period where they cannot get pregnant.

Is that true?

Would it be risk free (in terms of unwanted pregnancy) to engage in sexual activity during this 'infertility' period, so women cannot get pregnant?

If yes, would it be ok to have sex without protection during this period?

Thanks

Regards

Jose S.

Answer
Hi Jose,

Risk free?   No.  Ovulation usually occurs some time in the 8 to 20 day after the period starts range.  But the actual release of the egg is not as predictable as you would like. It can vary some from cycle to cycle and will from woman to woman.  Your sperm can live up to about 7 days.  Therefor the safest time is the week just prior to menses but since you don't know exactly when that will occur there is always some risk.

Have a great day,

How to Have Great Sex

Tom Blair