How to Have Great Sex/Intercourse Fluids

Question
Hello:

Perhaps you can answer my question since you are female and would have a better understanding.

During intercourse, fluids from the vagina become noticeable.  Are these fluids primary mucus from the cervix or are there specific glands that produce fluids during intercourse.

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for your question.

Vaginal fluids usually increase during sexual arousal and can be a mixture of cervical mucus (depending on the time of the month and a woman's hormones) as well as fluids secreted from glands inside or near the opening of the vagina.

Skene's glands are glands located on the anterior wall of the vagina and can produce a large amount of lubricating fluid (filtered blood plasma). These are also the glands from which women can ejaculate (those who can).

The Bartholin's glands are two glands located to the left and right of the opening of the vagina and they secrete mucus (relatively minute amounts - one or two drops) when a woman is sexually aroused to help lubricate the vaginal opening.

Some fluid also comes from inside the vagina in what is called "transudation" (clear blood plasma), when blood flows into the walls of the vagina during vasocongestion (swelling of bodily tissues caused by increased vascular blood flow and a localized increase in blood pressure), and the pressure of increased blood causes seepage of moisture that comes through the vaginal lining, thus creating lubricating fluids. The amount may be enough to leak out of the vagina and lubricate the labia and vaginal opening. This all happens during the excitement phase of the sexual response cycle in women. --Masters and Johnson

So, most likely what you are thinking of is transudation, which is the most common cause of vaginal fluids during sexual arousal in women.

Hope that helps!
Domina

How to Have Great Sex

Domina