Greece/From Kalambaka to Patras

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I am planning to visit Greece in July, 2013.
And I have a few questions about traveling to Patras from Kalambaka.
After staying two nights in Thessaloniki, I will take train to Kalambaka and stay for a night. Then visit Meteora the next day (by taxi or bus).
I notice that I can take bus from Kalambaka to Trikala and take another bus to Patras.
I am wondering whether the buses will catch up with each other in Trikala, since I plan to stay in Patras that night.
And also, how long does it take from kalambaka to Trikala, and from Trikala to Patras?

ANSWER: Hello Emily,

First I would like to let you know that buses to Patra from Trikala there at the following days:

Thu at 10:00, Fri & Sun at 15.30  

The ticket costs 30Ä and the duration of the trip is 5 hours!

If the days donít suit to your program then you can consider the option of going to Athens first and then take another bus to Patra.

From KALAMPAKA to TRIKALA there are several buses so you will not have a problem of caching up the bus to Patra.

So daily there are the following buses
5.50, 6.45, 7.30, 8.00, 8.30, 9.00, 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.00, 15.15, 16.15, 17.15, 18.15, 19.15, 20.15, 21.15, 22.00, 23.00
During the Weekend
5.50, 8.00, 10.00, 12.00, 14.15, 15.15, 17.15, 19.15, 21.15, 23.00

The duration of the trip is about 20min (30 min maximum) and the ticket costs 2.10Ä.
If you need more information, you can visit the site of the bus company in Trikala called KTEL TRIKALA.

http://ktel-trikala.gr/?module=default&pages_id=21&lang=en

Of course you can ask me again for further information!

Welcome to my Country.
Emilios

QUESTION: THANKS for your answers!!!
I appreciate it greatly!
And by now I am trying to arrange my trip according to follow the Sunday Trikala to Patra bus schedule.

I saw this schedule for Kalambaka-Athens,
http://www.zorbas.de/english/transfer_ktel.php
if I can't take Trikala to Patra, I guess I can take 13:30 Kalambaka-Athens and then catch 17:30 Athens-Patras.
Will that be fine?Or will you suggest me to stay another night at Athens?

My ideal schedule is as follows:
arrive Patras on Sunday night, stay for one night and visit Olympia the next day(first take bust to Pirgos and then to Olympia->this is practical, right?). Stay at Patras for another night, and then take buses to Delphi from Patras, then take another bus from Delphi to Athens. Then I will be visiting Santorini, by plane I guess.

(sorry for the long question)

Thank you again!

Answer
Hello Emily,

I see you chose to go to Athens first and then travel to Patra.

Small objections:

1.   The ticket to Patra from Kalambaka is 30Ä while if you go to Athens and then to Patra it will cost you more.

2.   The Bus station in Athens that you are arriving is KTEL LIOSION on liosion street and the Bus station that departs to Patra is KTEL KIFISOU on kifisou street. So you will arrive in KTEL LIOSION and then you need to go to KTEL KIFISOU to take the bus to Patra.

3.   The site that you sent me is for the prefecture of Messinia while Patra belongs to the Prefecture of Achaia and therefore in order to travel to Patra is better to take buses of Achaia prefecture.

From Athens (KTEL KIFISOU) to Patra there are the following buses:
6:15, 7:15, 8:15, 9:00, 9:45, 10:30, 11:00 and every 30 minutes until 22:00 and one at 23:00. The duration of the trip is 2hours and 30 minutes.

Another suggestion: Since you want to visit Olympia why donít you go to Pyrgos instead of Patra? In that way you can go to Olympia and return to Athens on the same day.  (Also It will save you a day).

Buses to Pirgos from Athens are at 7:00, 7:30 (express), 8:00, 9:00, 11:00, 13:00, 14:30 (express), 15:00, 16:00, 17:15 (express), 19:00 and 20:00.
All buses (except that at 19:00 and 20:00) have a corresponding line to Olympia.

Afternoon buses from Pyrgos to Athens at 15:30, 17:00, 19:00, 00:30. The duration of the trip is about 3 hours 30 min but the Express buses makes it in Less than 3hours!

Hope I helped  

Greece

Emilios