Greece/Bus Schedule From Kalambaka to Athens

Question
QUESTION: Hello!

We will be visiting Meteora and staying in Kalambaka in May. We have a flight on a monday to Santorini at 9:35pm and need to get to Athens to make this flight! We are looking for a direct bus route that can take us from Kalambaka (around that area) to Athens airport that leaves anytime after 12:00 or 13:00. Is this option available? We want to know every detail before we purchase plane tickets we won't be able to make.

ANSWER: Hello Lauren and welcome to Greece.

Meteora during Spring is really a great travel idea.

I hope I will help you to implement it.

In order to go to Athens from Kalambaka, is better to travel to Trikala first and then to take another bus to Athens. Donít worry it is not complicated.

From Kalambaka there are frequent buses to Trikala :
Weekday
5.50, 6.45, 7.30, 8.00, 8.30, 9.00, 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.15, 14.00, 15.15, 16.15, 17.15, 18.15, 19.15, 20.15, 21.15, 22.00, 23.00
Weekend
5.50, 8.00, 9.50, 12.00, 14.15, 15.15, 17.15, 19.15, 21.15, 23.00

The duration is 30 min and the ticket costs : 2.10 Euros

From Trikala to Athens, there are the following daily buses:
7.00, 9.00, 11.00, 13.00, 15.30, 18.30, 01.00 (except Sun)
extra  Sun : 15.15 , 17.30

The duration is about 3hours 30min and the ticket cost : 28.00 Euros

VERY IMPORTANT: The bus leaves you at the bus station of Liosia in the city of Athens. You should bear in mind that you need an additional hour to take an urban bus(or train) to the airport.

So I guess if you take the 12:00 bus from kalabaka you will be able to take the bus to Athens at 13:00 from Trikala. You will arrive in Athens around 17:00 and you will have 2 hours to spend, in the Airport or around the city before you fly to Santorini.

Have a great time.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for that information it helps tremendously! We want to make the trip worth it by spending as much time as possible in Meteora. Do you think we would be able to take the 15:30 bus back to Athens and make our flight on time? Or is that cutting it too close? I realize it's not allowing a lot of time for error..

Answer
Hi Lauren,

I wanted to be sure about the info of the time schedule, so I called the Bus terminal in Trikala and in Athens.

New Data, new information: Trikala to Athens: 4 hours and 30 minutes. From Athens to the Airport about 40 minutes (Bus X93 in front of the bus terminal, donít forget the traffic).

So if you take the bus at 15:30 you will arrive at 20:00. This mean that you are going to be at the airport at about 21:00Ö. I think is too risky!

The decision is yours but in your place I wouldnít take the risk. Of course in your place I would spend a day in Athens just to see the capital.

Hope I helped  

Greece

Emilios