Greece/Meteora hiking monasteries

QUESTION: Hello, we would like to take the train from Athens to Meteora and prefer the latest option so we can spend all day in Athens. Can you give us the train schedule so we know exact times when to leave Athens by?

ANSWER: Hello Lauren

The last train from Athens to Kalabaka (Train change in Palaiofarsalos station) leaves at 23:55. It is a long trip and arrives in Kalabaka at 5:30 (In Palaiofarsalos at about 4:00).
The ticket costs about 20Ä.

The previous train to Kalabaka is at 16:16, so I guess you will not consider this option.

Another option is to travel to Trikala (near Kalabaka) by bus. The last bus leaves at 21:00 and the ticket costs 28Ä. Bus station in Athens: LIOSION STR. 260

The site of the bus company is

Hope I helped.

QUESTION: Thank you you did! Also, we would like to wake up for sunrise and hike through meteora to the monasteries. Are you familiar with this hike? Is it possible to do without a tour guide? Is it very difficult? I consider myself to be in good shape. How long of a hike is it?

Hello Lauren,

I ve never done it, to be honest.

Definitely you donít need to be in good shape. I guess that you will need 4-5 hours to do a tour.

Tours guides are another issue. I like to follow my own plans and tours, but we have to admit that these people know more and better.  So if you can tolerate a few rules and a program then I guess you can use a tour guide.

Have fun.

About travels mainly in Macedonia (Northern Greece)or other places in the Greek territory. I can answer questions about the sites, traditions or the cuisine of the area, directions how to get to a location, about extreme sports (canyoning, rafting) To inform you about your transportation in Greece. If you need Information from someone who lives in Greece...

I live in Thessaloniki and I have made a lot of trips in the area

Banking & Finance