Greek/English to Greek: James

kefalosjed wrote at 2009-06-28 07:00:54
I think the confussion of Dimitrios being the same names, comes from Greek people who have moved to America, Canada, and Austrailia in the recent years (From 1950's). They call themselves Jim, which is also a short name for JAmes. However if you look at ancient translations of the Hebrew name, it is Iakovos. Not every language has a driect translation for every name. My name is Joyce, I live in Greece, here some people say my name is like Zoe, which means life, but me name really means joyful one.

Dimitri wrote at 2009-10-22 21:27:33
This has troubled me for years as I am a Dimitrios and a Greek-American. IAKOBOS (Ἰ): Variant form of Greek Iakob, a form of Hebrew Yaaqob, meaning "supplanter." In the New Testament bible, this is the name of several characters, including two apostles and a half- brother of Jesus. James is the brother of Jesus. Therefore, Iakovos = James. Dimitrios or Dimitri is often anglicized as James though the names are etymologically unrelated. Many languages from Greek and Russian to Dutch and French use Dimitri. It is incorrect to anglicize the name Dimitrios or Dimitri.

Tania wrote at 2015-11-17 12:57:07

James came into the English language from the Old French variation James[1] of the late Latin name Iacomus. This was a dialect variant of Iacobus, from the New Testament Greek Ἰάκωβος (Ikōbos) {https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_%28name%29}

However many greeks use it to translate Dimitrios, as its diminutives include Jim, Jimmy, Jimmie, Jamie, Jimbo and others.

Hope this helps,

Tania (born and raised in Greece)

Greek

zozo christodoulou