Greek/Friedrich Nietzsche quote translation

Jocko Field wrote at 2015-06-02 01:53:56
When I attended college & took Western Philosophy we were taught

that the translation of that particular phrase quoted by Nietzsche was: "That which does not kill me... strengthens me."

Maria wrote at 2015-06-04 19:00:24
To Jocko Field.

Please note that the German "...macht mich stärker" in "Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker" (Friedrich Nietzsche‘s Twilight of the Idols , Maxims and Arrows, number 8) means exactly :"...makes me stronger" as "macht" means "makes", "mich" means "me" and "stärker" is just a comparative meaning  "stronger".

So, "strengthens me" is correct, but does not correspond word for word to "...macht mich stärker".

Best regards,

I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning ANCIENT GREEK. So, do not ask me please questions regarding MODERN GREEK as it is different from Ancient Greek either in spelling/meaning or in pronunciation.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy) and my thesis was about ancient Greek drama (Aeschylus).

This expert accepts donations: