Greek/my name in greek

ive been loking for a good site to find out my name in greek and i found one here. im wondering if my name were zachary would zethos be possible in greek. if not what is?

Hello, Zachary.

The Greek version of your name is Ζαχαρίας, pronounced Zacharias - the 'ch' is hard, as in 'hat', and the stress falls on the 'i' in the penultimate syllable. With biblical and Christian names, there is usually an exact concordance of given names, so it's easy to find versions across different languages, including of course Hebrew and Arabic.

'Zethos' is the older Greek word for beer, so no luck with that one!  However, virtually all Greek given names have one or more diminutives; in your case, it would be Ζάχος, pronounced Zachos - a hard 'ch' again, with the stress on the first syllable.

All the best,

I can answer questions and offer advice or, at least, an educated opinion on a range of questions concerning Greek culture. Particular areas of expertise include: Modern Greek language & literature; Greek history, ancient to contemporary; contemporary "high" culture; Greek politics; Greek society. I am unable to answer questions on the following: Ancient Greek language; Greek music; popular culture; sports and athletics; tourism and holiday issues.

Multilingual Greek writer & journalist

B.Sc. London University