Greek/Family name-origin

Question
I know my family name is not spelled correctly "Caryofilles" and second my grandfather's birth certificate (parents birthplace Greece) just trying to find info.

Answer
Hi Tina,

the surname looks correct to me, although it could have been also transliterated as: Caryophylles. But it's not wrong, I believe; there is just a modern and an old-fashioned concept behind that.
For the origin I cannot tell you much. It doesn't have any of those cognate endings. What I can tell you is that it sounds a bit of Byzantine origin (as it is a Greek word).

Good luck with your search.

Cordially,
Michael

Greek

Michael Barkas