Greek/"remws"

Question
Hello Michael,

LSJ (see):

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=r%28h%2Fmwn&la=greek&can=r%28h%2Fmwn

lists the Greek word, "remws" (rho, eta, mu, omega, nu), but without a definition. Does the word suggest anuthing to you?

regards,
Bud

Answer
Hi Bud,

thank you for your question. This word occurs only 3 times and only in the later literature (e.g. Herodianus). It is composed of the future stem of ῥῶ (or also λέγω), ῥή-σω plus the suffix -μων that creates nouns or adj. Those assign an attribute to a person according to the meaning of the first compound. The word ῥήμων is another word for "orator, speaker", literally meaning "someone who can give a nice speech" and not just someone who can just say anything.

But compound words with this one as a second compound are more often, i.e. εὐρήμων, ἀρρήμων, αἰσχρορρήμων, μεγαλορρήμων, εὐθυρρήμων, πολυρρήμων etc.

Let me know whether you need anything else on that. Have a nice day.

Cordially,
Michael

Greek

Michael Barkas