Greek/Etymology

Question
Dear Michael,

I would like to ask you the following question: I am studying bio-sciences and I often come across the word " cognitive" and i am trying to figure out whether it has a Greek origin or a Latin one. I found that it comes from the Latin cognitivus however i feel like it has a close association with the " γιγνώσκω". Could you help me solve my query?
Thank you very much in advance
Angelos

Answer
Hi Angelos,

thank you for your question. The word comes from the supine form of the Latin verb "to know" (cognosco --> cognit-um --> cognit-ivus). Its similarity to the Greek verb "γιγνώσκω" is due to the common Indo-European root *gno. If you are good at linguistics you can observe it in English (kno-w), German (kenn-en), Italian ([g]no-sco) and all Indo-European languages.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cordially,
Michael

Greek

Michael Barkas