What do you know about the red-caps or red-polls named in Liddell-Scott's Lexicon--keblee-puris? No one loves the Greek language of the 400s BCE more than I. Encourage your discussants to learn the language. It's one of the more exciting things I've done in my life. Currently I'm reading my way through the Lexicon, word by word, to get key-hole views of ancient Greek culture in the days of Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Thucydides, and all the rest, and then to add my take on each word to a new pan-national e-lexicon I'm putting together here in New England.

Hi Andrew,

one cannot tell much about it, due to the fact that the word occurs actually only in Aristophanes. It seems to be a kind of red-capped bird, as it is mentioned among other bird names in Aristoph., Aves, 303 (TLG reference). It is a compound word made of "keblee" (<kephalee=head) and "pur" (=fire) with the suffix -is (probably to get away from the neutral article of "pur", as animals need usually a morphology that can take both articles, masculine and feminine).
I am afraid I cannot offer more than that due to the restricted sources.

Let me know, though, if I can be of other help. Have a good day.

Michael Barkas

I provide assistance in linguistic, literary topics of Greek and Latin covering, thus, the following fields: translation, grammar, syntax, vocabulary, etymology, morphology, semantics and interpretations etc.

Studies: University of the Aegean, Dept Rhodes Friedrich Wilhelm Universitšt Bonn

Magister Artium (Archeology/Linguistics) Bachelor (Latin/English/Greek)