Greek/translation

Question
Hey, I simply want the translation on both how to pronounce and what it will look like for the words "strength and courage" in ancient Greek. If it could be in the language  that  Spartans spoke that'd be great. If not ancient Greek is fine.

Answer
Hello,

"strength and courage" can be translated into ancient/classical Greek as  ἀνδραγαθία (transliterated as “andragathía”) as this nominative case, feminine noun, belonging to the 1st.declension, means just “Strength and Courage”.

Such a single word in fact joins together the concept of strength and courage, bravery, manly virtue, i.e. the character of an upright man.

As for the language  that  Spartans spoke, that is Doric dialect, please note that Spartan Doric isn't a language but one of the four main Greek dialects that were spoken in the Aegean basin about 2800 years ago.

Moreover I have to point out that Doric dialect spoken by the Spartans had only little differences from the other three Greek dialects (Ionic, Attic and Aeolic) from which Ancient /Classical Greek, also known as Koiné  Greek (Common Greek) is derived.

But such slight differences, i.e. chiefly the preservation of the long  vowel A (alpha) instead of the long open E (eta) used by the other dialects,  disappeared  at a very early date, as we see in the poems of the Doric poet Tyrtaeus, flourished middle of the 7th century BC.

In short, it is correct to say “ancient Greek” or “classical Greek”, not Doric Greek, since Spartan/Doric language was quite similar to “ancient Greek” / “classical Greek”.

Finally see below for the pronunciation of ἀνδραγαθία (transliterated as “andragathía").

Best regards,
Maria
______________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-ἀ /a is pronounced like the A in “father”

-νδρ/ndr is pronounced like the NDR in “androgen”

-α /a is pronounced like the A in “father”

-γ is pronounced like the G in “gag”

-α / a  is pronounced like the A in “father”

-θί /thi is pronounced like the THI in “anything” with the accent on the “i”.

-α / a is pronounced like the A in “father”

Greek

Maria