Greek/Spartan

Question
would you be able to tell me how to write the word 'Spartan' in Doric Greek? I was able to find the word 'Sparta' but was wondering if there was a different word to denote a person of Sparta rather than the place itself.
Thanks in advance
Cody

Answer
Hi Cody,

thank you for asking. The root-word "Sparta" was not so much used by ancient writers to refer to the respective area. There are about one thousand occurrences in all ancient texts, where as approximately five thousand of the other one, which is "Λακεδαιμόνιος" for "Spartan" and the "Λακεδαίμων" for the area. Doric Greek is a dialect, a style that one cannot always notice through a single word. It's nothing really so different than a simple replacement of several vowels, case-suffixes, morphological changes and some special vocabulary.

Have a good day and let me know if you need further assistance.

Cordially,
Michael

Greek

Michael Barkas