Greek/General knowledge

Question
Hi Maria

I would like to know the translation of the word "Warrior" into Doric Greek please and the pronunciation of it aswell, the reason is that I thought it would be a good bit of knowledge to know how to say it along with it being cool to know how to say it and how to write it...thanks

Answer
Hello,

πολεμιστής [or πτολεμιστής, as we read in Homer’s Iliad, book 22, line 132] is the ancient Greek noun for “warrior”.

As for its pronunciation, note that:

-πολε is pronounced like “pole” in the English verb  “polemize”

-μισ is pronounced like “mis” in the English verb “misunderstand”

-τής is pronounced like “tes” in the English noun “tessera” or in the verb “tessellate”. The accent falls on this syllable.

In short, πολεμιστής is pronounced as "pole-mis-tés".

Such a masculine noun belongs to the 1st.declension and is in the nominative singular.
Ancient Greek is in fact an inflected language with three declensions and five cases (nominaive, genitive, dative, accusative, vocative), according to the role of a word in a sentence.

Best regards,
Maria
______________________________________________________________________
P.S.
Please note that  Doric is nothing but one of the four main Greek dialects that were spoken in Greece about 2800 years ago.
Such a Doric dialect spoken by the Spartans had only little differences from the other three Greek dialects (Ionic, Attic and Aeolic) from which Ancient /Classical Greek, also known as Koiné  Greek (Common Greek) is derived.

But such slight differences, i.e. chiefly the preservation of the long  vowel A (alpha) instead of the long open E (eta) used by the other dialects,  disappeared  at a very early date, as we see in the poems of the Doric poet Tyrtaeus, flourished middle of the 7th century BC.

In short, it is correct to say “ancient Greek” or “classical Greek”, NOT Doric Greek, since Spartan/Doric language was quite similar to “ancient Greek” / “classical Greek”.

Greek

Maria