Greek/Greek phrase

Question
QUESTION: Hey,
I was wondering if you could translate a phrase into Greek for me.  I want to get a tattoo of either "die to self" or "dying to self" and need an accurate translation into Greek.  Thanks!

ANSWER: Hi Josh,

thank you for your question. Here is the translation after the original text; if you translate the Greek version word for word you actually get "be reborn from above" which is:

ἄνωθεν γεννηθῆναι / ΑΝΩΘΕΝ ΓΕΝΝΘΗΝΑΙ (dying to self)
or
ἄνωθεν γεννήθητι / ΑΝΩΘΕΝ ΓΕΝΝΗΘΗΤΙ (die to self - Imperative form)

Let me know if you need further support on that.
Have a good day.

Cordially,
Michael

QUESTION: Hey,

To follow up, is that classical Greek or Modern Greek?  Also, if I were to do just the verb "die" (for the same reason as the idea of dying to self), what would that be in Classical/Biblical Greek?  I got mixed results online...is θνῄσκω or πεθαίνω or ἀποθνῄσκω at all accurate??  Thanks!

Answer
The classical verb for "to die" is ἀποθνῄσκω. So, you could have the imperative "die" as ἀπόθανε, or - my suggestion - "die for thyself/for your sake" as ἀποθνῄσκειν σεαυτῷ / ΑΠΟΘΝΗΣΚΕΙΝ ΣΕΑΥΤΩ.

Let me know if you need more on that. I would be glad to assist.

Cordially,
Michael

Greek

Michael Barkas