Greek/Greek word

What Greek word did the Latin word Crispus come from?

the Latin name “Crispus”  does not come from any ancient  Greek term, simply because it is just the Greek  name Κρίσπος  that is the transliteration of the Latin name “Crispus” from which it comes, of course.

The Latin name “Crispus”, which  derives from the adjective “crispus” (masculine, nominative case) meaning “curly”,” having curled hair”, has been used  in ancient Rome as a surname [see  the well-known Roman historian  Gaius Sallustius Crispus (86 BC – c.35 BC)].

It is in 1 Corinthians 1:14  that we read the name Κρίσπον  in the accusative case as a transliteration of the Latin accusative  “Crispum”.

See 1 Corinthians 1:14  : "εὐχαριστῶ ὅτι οὐδένα ὑμῶν ἐβάπτισα εἰ μὴ Κρίσπον καὶ Γάϊον" (in ancient Greek) and “Gratias ago Deo, quod neminem vestrum baptizavi, nisi Crispum, et Caium” (in Latin) meaning:"I thank God that I baptized none of you , except Crispus and Gaius").

To conclude, the Latin name “Crispus”  does not come from any ancient  Greek word.

Best regards,
Please note that you asked me the same question in the category “Ancient Languages” on 07/23/13  and then in the category Ancient/Classical History and I already  answered it  just like above, since the Latin name “Crispus”  does NOT come from any ancient  Greek word.

I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning ANCIENT GREEK. So, do not ask me please questions regarding MODERN GREEK as it is different from Ancient Greek either in spelling/meaning or in pronunciation.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy) and my thesis was about ancient Greek drama (Aeschylus).

This expert accepts donations: