Greek/Present

Question
I have a friend who is Greek, and her birthday is coming up soon. Her dad told me he is getting a white dog for her birthday, and I thought I'd give her a name suggestion as one of my presents. Can you please tell me what 'Hurricane' means in Ancient Greek?

Answer
Hello,

in Ancient Greek the noun “hurricane” corresponds to  the following nouns:

-καταιγίς (written in ancient Greek letters and  transliterated as ”kataighís” in Latin alphabet we use still today in English too).

-θύελλα (written in ancient Greek letters and  transliterated as ”thúella”)

So, since both “kataighís”  and “thúella”  mean “hurricane” in Ancient Greek, you can choose the one you like better.

Please note that in Modern Greek - which is not my field of expertise as it is  different from the Ancient Greek - the word “hurricane” would be ανεμοστρόβιλος  transliterated as “anemostróbilos”.

Best regards,
Maria

Greek

Maria