Greek/Latin to Attic Greek translation, Julius Caesar

Hi, I really appreciate any and all help. I am a bit stuck on this one...

I would like to use Julius Caesar's quote, "Iacta alea est" meaning exactly "the die is cast". However I would prefer to use this quote in Attic Greek as if was originally said, "ἀνερρίφθω κύβος". This seems as if it would be simple enough but the Attic Greek phrase seems to mean "Let the die be cast".

I am completely unfamiliar with how to modify the Attic Greek phrase to match the Latin one exactly. Is there any way to state "the die is cast" (without the "let") in Attic Greek?

Thank you again! All the best!

Hi Heather,

is it, then, the indicative statement that you would like to express or the exhortative/imperative one (i.e. let sth happen)?

More versions are possible in classical Greek. You may say:
ὁ κύβος (ἀν)ἐρρίφθη = the die was cast (one time in the past) which is also used today as an old saying
ὁ κύβος (ἀν)ἐρριμμένος ἐστίν = the die is cast (perfect participle, such as "the money is gone")
ὁ κύβος (ἀν)ἔρριπται = the die has been cast (another version of the previous example)
(ἀναρ)ῥιφθήτω ὁ κύβος = let the die be cast
ἀνερρίφθω ὁ κύβος = this is originally found in Plutarch and it could have been classical, too. The difference is the tense, nothing more. It actually means "let the die have been cast", i.e. Perfect Tense; it actually means something like "And so what? Let it have been cast." or like "I don't care if it has been cast; be it so."

The versions that correspond most to the Latin phrase are the second and third ones (in terms of tense). The first example refers to the event itself as an act of casting, whereas the second and third ones focus on its duration from the moment of casting up to now. The last two examples contain the "let.." notion of the imperative.

See which one suits you most and let me know whether you need anything else.

Michael Barkas

I provide assistance in linguistic, literary topics of Greek and Latin covering, thus, the following fields: translation, grammar, syntax, vocabulary, etymology, morphology, semantics and interpretations etc.

Studies: University of the Aegean, Dept Rhodes Friedrich Wilhelm Universitšt Bonn

Magister Artium (Archeology/Linguistics) Bachelor (Latin/English/Greek)