Greek/WORSHIP in New Testament Bible

Question
Is PROSKYNEO an ancient Greek or a Modern Greek?

You said that worship in Greek are Sébasis, Sébesis, Sebasmòs, and Sébasma. However, someone told me that the New Testament Bible used PROSKYNEO for worship instead of Sébasis, Sébesis, Sebasmòs, and Sébasma.

Which is more deeper in terms of act of worship, PROSKYNEO or Sébas/Sébesis/Sebasmòs/Sébasma?

Answer
Hello,

First of all I have to point out that my answer to a certain Jennifer  was referring to Ancient Greek translation of "worship" as a NOUN in the sense of “the act of worshipping God or a god in the paganism, NOT as a VERB, i.e. “to worship” in the sense of having a strong feeling of respect and admiration for God or a god in the paganism, i.e. a religion that worshipped many gods.
See my answer (12/19/2006) at http://en.allexperts.com/q/Greek-2004/Worship.htm

As for προσκυνέω, transliterated as “proskunéo”, meaning “I make obeisance to the gods or their images”/”I fall down and worship”/I worship", it is a VERB used in the New Testament  just in the sense of  kneeling to do homage to God, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication.
See  http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/nas/proskuneo.html

To conclude, all the ancient Greek nouns σέβασις (transliterated as “sébasis”), σεβασμός ( transliterated as “sebasmós”) and  σέβασμα (transliterated as “sébasma”) correspond to “reverence”/ “worship” used as a NOUN, while the ancient Greek verb προσκυνέω(transliterated as “proskunéo”) is used in the New Testament  as a VERB meaning “I worship”.

In short, the VERB “proskunéo”(present indicative, 1st person singular) means "I worship", while  the NOUNS “sébasis"/“sebasmós”/ “sébasma” (all in the nominative case as subject of a sentence) mean "the worship".

Best regards,

Maria  

Greek

Maria