Greek/x, khôra

Question
In your reply to an earlier inquiry regarding the idea of 'space', you offered:

2-“Cháos” (Greek fonts, χάος ),a neuter noun meaning
“primordial space”, “infinite space”. In early Greek cosmology  the chaos  was in fact the  personification of the primordial void.  In fact, in the beginning there was only ‘chaos’, that was a shapeless and confused mass of elements.

3-“Chõros” (Greek fonts, χωρος with the circumflex accent on the omega), a masculine noun which means ‘space’ in the sense of a definite area that has a border.

How does xώρα, khôra (feminine) 'fit' in the 'mix'?  A unique 'kind' of space? Might xώρα convey any sense of a 'middle' between χάος and χωρος?  And could one plausibly read the senses of 'power' and 'life' in the word?

Thank you,
David

Answer
Hello,

The feminine 1st. declension noun  xώρα (transliterated as “chôra”/khôra), as well as its  Ionic variant χώρη (chôre), means “definite space”/”piece of ground”/”place”/ “land”/ “country”, just like  χῶρος (chõros, 2nd declension) which however can also denote a “space or room in which a thing is”, defined as “partly occupied space”, different from the neuter noun κενόν (kenón , empty, void, ‘endless space’ ), τόπος (tópos, place, region) and obviously from χάος  (cháos),a neuter noun meaning “primordial space”, “endless space” as a shapeless and confused mass of elements.

In short,  χῶρος  usually denotes a space which is more concrete than χώρα, and then in this meaning xώρα might indicate a kind of a 'middle' between χάος and χῶρος, i.e. between an “endless space” and a “partly occupied space”.

But one cannot plausibly read the sense of 'power' and 'life' in χώρα, which instead can metaphorically mean “station/ place/ position” especially  a soldier's post as in χώρᾳ εἶναι (to be in a position) or  χώραν λαβεῖν (to take a position).

Hope this is clear enough.

Best regards,

Maria

Greek

Maria