Greek/"out this dorr nothing" in Doric Greek

Question
My wife is doing a wood burning as a Christmas gift for a good friend and this phrase was in a book I read that I think would be perfect on the wood burning. The problem is the phrase was from the Spartan culture but was in English in the book. Can you possibly translate this into ancient Greek for me?

Thank you

Answer
Hello,

First of all I have to tell you that the phrase that you mention, i.e. “Out this door nothing” which appears in “Gates of Fire”,a historical fiction novel by Steven Pressfield that recounts the Battle of Thermopylae, is nothing but a mere adaptation of the ancient Greek  sentence that we read in Plutarch, Life of Lycurgus, chapter 12, section 5: ‘διὰ τούτων  θυρῶν ἔξω λόγος οὐκ ἐκπορεύεται’ literally meaning “Through those doors no word goes forth outside” just to point out that no word spoken within those precincts had to be repeated elsewhere, since no Spartan man could reveal what happened in the “common mess halls”(Doric Greek, συσσίτια )  instituted by Lycurgus, the legendary lawgiver of Sparta, to strengthen the ties among all Spartan warriors  who  had to have their meals together.

That being stated, I really think that  the original Doric Greek sentence “διὰ τούτων  θυρῶν ἔξω λόγος οὐκ ἐκπορεύεται” (Through those doors no word goes forth outside) is not appropriate to a wood burning, unless you want to emphasize that no word must go out the room where there is the wood burning.

Hope all is clear enough.

Best regards,

Maria  

Greek

Maria