Greek/Greek surname meaning

Question
Hi, I'm researching my ancestry and came across the surname "Loiza," the man was born in Greece. Loiza may be an Arabic translation or maybe Turkish. Do you know what region of Greece the name is from? Also what does it mean? Looking for any info you may be able to share. Thank you!

Answer
Hello Rimah,

thank you for your inquiry. I would say it is a rather rare name or surname; my sources suggest a French origin, namely from the Latin word laus (gen. laudis = honour). Other than that, this is acutally out of my field of expertise, but as I happen to know Turkish, I would say that it couldn't be Turkish, because there are no original Turkish words starting with l. For Arabic, I cannot say for sure, but I would trust the French suggestion.

Have a good day and best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Cordially,
Michael

Greek

Michael Barkas