Greek/NOT two deltas?

Hello again Michael,

I just caught, from the Huddleston's interlinear translation you pointed me to, that Homer himself and apparently spelt "Oduseus" with only the one "s". (Huddleston is consistent there.) But is that just Huddleston—or is it Homer himself?

The correct, authentic, spelling is critical to me.

All the best,

Hi again Bud,

in the "Subject" you wrote "not two deltas" instead of "sigmas", if you meant that. There is no spelling with two deltas, but there are more than 30 instances of the name with one s. Nevertheless, they are quite many, not only 1-2; so it is difficult to call them a scribe's copying mistake even if the oldest manuscript dates back to the 10th century, i.e. only a thousand years ago, whereas at least 1800 years after the tradition had occurred. Maybe there is a poetic function for the metre behind that (at which I am not so good :) or, presumably, it could be an evidence of other older dialects that survived at that time and affected the orthography over time, thus making some words ambiguous. But for the name of Odysseus I cannot tell the exact reason. The verb of the same root "ὀδύσσομαι" also occurs a few times with one s, but striking numbers occur with double ss. So, let's say Homer himself for the time being.

Have a good day!

Michael Barkas

I provide assistance in linguistic, literary topics of Greek and Latin covering, thus, the following fields: translation, grammar, syntax, vocabulary, etymology, morphology, semantics and interpretations etc.

Studies: University of the Aegean, Dept Rhodes Friedrich Wilhelm Universität Bonn

Magister Artium (Archeology/Linguistics) Bachelor (Latin/English/Greek)