Greek/translation

Question
Dear Maria,

can you please help me translating this sentence?

Ὀ μέγας Πὰν τέθνηκε

Thank you so much for your great work here.
Alexa

Answer
Dear Alexa,

Ὀ μέγας Πὰν τέθνηκε means “The great Pan is dead”.

It is a sentence that we read in  Plutarch,"The Obsolescence of Oracles” (ancient Greek, Περὶ τῶν ἐκλελοιπότων χρηστηρίων, Moralia, Book 5,17 ) where the Greek historian,biographer and essayist  Plutarch (died in ca.120 AD) talks about a rumour arose in the first century AD on the death of Pan, the Arcadian god of of  wild nature, of shepherds and flocks, of mountain wilds, hunting and rustic music.

So, according to Plutarch, during the reign of Tiberius, Thamus, an Egyptian pilot, sailing to Italy,  heard a strange voice crying out to him: "Thamus, when you reach Palodes, take care to proclaim that the great god Pan is dead!" and Tamus did as he was told.

We know that such a story has long been seen as a symbolic representation of the death of the Classical world with its myths and its replacement by Christianity.

See also Elizabeth Barret Browning’s poem "The Dead Pan".

Best regards,

Maria
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Ὀ  (masculine  definite article)= The

-μέγας (adjective, nominative masculine) = great

-Πὰν (subject in the nominative case, 3rd.declension)= Pan

-τέθνηκε (perfect indicative active, 3rd person singular of the verb θνήσκω, I die) = is dead.

Greek

Maria